Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 129 - Mosiah 26:14-39

"God’s Love for Us Transcends Our Transgressions"
April 1982 General Conference
Elder Ronald E. Poelman
The Lord, speaking to Alma, the Nephite prophet, says: “Whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye judge according to the sins which he has committed; and if he confess his sins before thee and me, and repenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye forgive, and I will forgive him also. 
“Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.” (Mosiah 26:29–30.) 
Too often we make repentance more difficult for each other by our failure to forgive one another. However, we are admonished in modern revelation that “ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin. 
“I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.” (D&C 64:9–10.) 
Also from modern revelation comes one of the most comforting, hopeful pronouncements ever spoken: 
“He who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.” (D&C 58:42.) 
God is our father; he loves us; his love is infinite and unconditional. His sorrow is great when we disobey his commandments and break his laws. He cannot condone our transgressions, but he loves us and wants us to return to him.